Open Call for Art Entries: “Mens & Monument”
Open Call to all Artists
Submission is open from August 15 to October 1, 2019
As part of the 65th anniversary of Stichting Monumentenzorg Curaçao (Curaçao Heritage Foundation), we would like to engage the community of Curaçao in thinking about what our built heritage means to us all. In order to open eyes, hearts and minds, we are hereby enlisting the help of you – the artistic community on the island – to create pieces around the theme ‘Mens & Monument’ (Man & Monument) reflecting in a fresh way on our historical legacy and its role in our present and our future.
Stichting Monumentenzorg Curaçao invites you to submit artworks that reflect the theme of this Art Exhibition, which will be opened on November 1st, 2019 at Villa Maria.
The theme ‘Mens & Monument’
The theme ‘Mens & Monument’ was chosen to embody the idea that monuments are not only a mere collection of building materials, but a reflection of human beings expressing their culture, religion, way of life, sense of community, collectively or individually, political or life visions, merchant and production activities. Not just in the past, but in the present and moving forward into the future. The theme can therefore also be considered an aspiration – how we want to continue to use our built heritage, how we want to develop community…
But the theme also touches on the emotional and spiritual aspects of the bond between human beings and the buildings we are surrounded by. How does it feel to be in a 300-year-old building? What would Curaçao be like without its historical Willemstad?
You are invited to create an artwork with the theme ‘Mens & Monument’, that you may offer for sale in the exhibition under the same title as the theme.
- The call is open to all artists over 18 years of age. All art must be original and new.
- A maximum of 2 artworks is allowed for the exhibition.
- The maximum size for art, including frame is recommended to be 120cm x 120cm, but the curator will judge larger works on a case by case basis.
- Both freestanding works – like sculptures and installations – as well as work that can be hung on the wall – including video, installation, drawing, painting, mixed media, photography, or printmaking – will be considered. It is preferred for the artist to provide his/her own equipment regarding digital media.
- Artwork must be in original form for the medium being submitted. Giclee or other reproductions of original work will not be accepted, unless original is a photograph/print. Example: giclee of watercolor will not be accepted.
- All works entered MUST be properly finished and – if applicable – ready for hanging, including but not limited to being framed and properly wired across the back with picture hanging wire.
- Installations for this show may require participation by the artist. The venue will be available up to 2 weeks prior to opening for final installation of the piece(s).
- A waiver must be signed to allow Monumentenzorg promote and document the exhibition.
- Artist name (eventually supplemented with an alias)
- Telephone (preferred mobile)
- E-mail address
- Title of the artwork
- Selling price
- Artist Statement (preferably in English)
Sale of Artwork:
- The artists propose a selling price. Monumentenzorg reserves the right to suggest differently.
- Any artwork not sold will be returned to the artist at the end of the exhibition.
- A very fair commission will be part of the arrangement.
Friday, November 1 – 10, 2019
Tuesday, October 1, 2019 at noon
Accepted art drop-off date:
Monday, September 30th and Tuesday 1st, 2019 between 10:00 am – 2:00 pm at Villa Maria.
Friday, November 1st 2019, 6:00 pm – 9:00 pm
Friday, November 1st 2019, 7:00 pm
Pick up of Artwork:
Monday, November 11, 2019 between 10:00 am – 2:00 pm
Please register by emailing Stichting Monumentenzorg Curaçao to the attention of Juliette Buddingh’ at [email protected] before September 15, 2019.
If you have any further questions please feel free to contact;
Sinuhe Oomen – Curator ([email protected])
We will organize an Information Evening for all participants or aspiring participants within two weeks after publication.
We look forward to your unique artwork for the exhibition